Scratches on satin finish stainless steel

How can I get scratches out of a satin finish stainless steel range hood?

Neal Gelfand
- New York, NY

When my husband and I cleaned our Dacor Epicure hood range we used Hope'samazoninfo stainless steel cleaner. They swore (when I called them) that it is non abrasive and had no chlorine compounds in their product. Well, we now have a large scratched area with both circular and vertical scratches. I am petrified to use sandpaper on it as the hood and range cost us a small fortune. I have an email in to scratch be gone. Any other suggestions?

Marsha Oremland
consumer - Owings Mills, Maryland

I'm not here to defend Hope's, Marsha, but to point in a different direction only so that the same thing doesn't happen to you again. If you used one of those scotchbrite sponge/scrubbies to apply the polish, it was probably that, rather than the Hope's, that caused the scratching. We have dozens of similar letters on line here.

You did not answer their question.How do you remove scratches from stainless steel. Rather than a hood however, my interest is pertaining to a stainless satin steel sink

Don Gara
- Belleview, Florida, USA

Hi, Don. Sorry, she said she had already contacted Scratch-B-Gone. They are experts on correction of stainless scratches and I am not, so I left it there. And I focused my response on the possible cause, hoping the next reader might be able to prevent some scratches. But we have countless letters on the subject on this site; please try letter 4148. Good luck!