Magnesium ribbon and hydrochloric acid reaction

I was wondering if you could help me with my chemistry experiment, I have conducted an experiment in which I react magnesium ribbon with hydrochloric acid. I was wondering if you could give me some background information on what goes on in the experiment, many thanks.

Neeta Cdeleted
- Birmingham, United Kingdom

Please see letter 12326 where the question is already answered, Neeta. Good luck.

Q. I would like to know, when magnesium reacts with an acid it obviously reacts with the hydrogen ions in that acid. BUT what about diluted solutions of acid. In my experiment I have diluted my acid to get lower concentrations. So now the acid surely dissociates (dependent on strength of the acid) so does the magnesium react with the dissociated Hydrogen ions, or does it still react directly with the non-ionised acid ions. Can it do both? You see I'm trying to investigate the reaction kinetics of magnesium and different acids and concentrations, this could have a huge effect on the reaction kinetics, so it's vital that I'm sure of where the ions are coming from to make a prediction! Please can someone help me ASAP!

Kayleigh Ddeleted
A-level chemistry student - Lingfield, Surrey, England

A. I don't know if the information I'm giving you is any help, but my science class was doing an experiment on hydrochloric acid and when it's mixed with magnesium ribbon. We found out that the less concentrated it was.. the slower the ribbon oxidized and stuff... I hope this helps.. I was just reading stuff about magnesium ribbons for my report and came across this letter.

Dramoonzerdeleted
high school student - Waldorf, Maryland

+++++++

Q. I want to know what happens when magnesium ribbon reacts with HCl

Nastasia Fdeleted
student - Jamaica

+++++++

Q. Help! What Is Made When You Mix Hydrochloric Acid and Magnesium Ribbon?
Please Help !

Lucy Mdeleted
student - Daventry, England

First Course in Chemistry

Award Winning Science Fair Projects

+++++++

A. Natasia, Lucy,

The previously referenced letter 12326 should indeed answer your question. If it doesn't, please rephrase your question in terms of what you didn't understand. Thanks and good luck with your project!

A. Magnesium ribbon reacts with Hydrochloric acid to form Magnesium chloride and Hydrogen gas.

Anu Batra
- Munich, Germany

A. When you contact magnesium metal with an aqueous solution of hydrochloric acid (HCl and H2O) you will get dissolved magnesium chloride and hydrogen gas.

Mg(solid) + 2HCl (aqueous) => H2(gas) + MgCl2 (aqueous)

James Vaughan
- Brisbane, Australia

A. When adding two 1 cm strips of magnesium ribbon to a test tube containing 2 cm of hydrochloric acid, your result will be a chemical reaction. Their will be a change in the test tubes temperature, slight fizzing of gas bubbles, then the magnesium ribbon will dissolve into the water, leaving in blue.
Also, if you bring a match to the mouth of the test tube containing to following ^^ then the production of gas followed by a loud pop will occur.

Hope this helped.

Meeno Mariaquee
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada

A. When hydrochloric acid is added with magnesium the result is a salt called magnesium chloride.

Bianca Daignault
- Hamilton, Ontario, Canada