The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

Removing chrome from golf club...how to make a "rust stick"?

Q. How would I remove chrome from a golf club while maintaining the integrity of grooves and other markings?

Harry Daw
- Eureka, Missouri

A. I don't understand why you want to do such a thing! Not only would your club end up a rust stick, you would be left with the chrome. Chrome is regulated by the EPA, and is not something you can dump in the trash or wash down the drain.

If you want your golf clubs replated, then I suggest you call the store you bought it from, the manufacturer, or a local professional plater.

Tim Neveau
Rochester Hills, Michigan

Q. I want it to be a rust stick...hence RTG...raw tour grind. Chrome makes the club feel more crisp...it also makes you hit the ball farther. Rust enables the ball to spin more. Fully 80% of all PGA pro's prefer wedges without chrome.

So how do you get rid of it?

Harry Daw [returning]
- Eureka, Missouri

A. Hi Harry. You can remove the chrome yourself with muriatic acidamazoninfo, but this is strong acid, so there are dangers if you haven't been trained and don't have the correct PPE. I strongly doubt that you'd actually get into trouble with the sewer authority for flushing the neutralized acid (if you are talking about one or two clubs rather than making a practice of it), but it's poor environmental practice to flush chrome.

So it might be a better idea, as Tim suggested, to take it to a plating shop who can strip it and handle the wastes safely and responsibly. And another thing is, most "chrome" plating is actually a heavy layer of nickel plating followed by a thin layer of chrome. After you remove the chrome it won't look much different (just slightly less blue) -- unless you also remove the nickel plating which requires specialty chemicals (adv. Metalx B-9 Nickel Stripper) which you might not be able to get shipped to a residence.

I'm not a golfer, so I may be burned as a heretic for the suggestion -- but can't you just buy a putter with the finish you want? Best of luck!

Ted Mooney   Teds signature

(2006)

! I suggest that you have simply bought a raw wedge instead of having to go through all this hassle just to take off the chrome.

JJ Spaun
- San Dimas, California, USA

thumbsup2Oh goody, I'll have company at the stake :-)

Ted Mooney, finishing.com   Teds signature

A. Take it to a company that does automotive gold plating in your community. They have means to remove chrome safely. However you will be left with nickel plating.

Alfonso Hernandez
- Aurora, Colorado

-- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

I am a golfer, and I was wondering, what is the fastest way to rust a wedge? How long does it take?

Thank you for your help.

Jim Waldron
student - Fairbury, Nebraska

Q. How can I rust my golf clubs in a short amount of time?

Eric Adams
hobbyist - Aberdeen, Scotland

A. Jim, Eric:

We appended your inquiries to a similar earlier thread. But upon reconsidering what you want to do and why, I think you could sandblast the chrome and nickel off, leaving an active raw steel surface which will rust very quickly. Although there is the issue of not damaging the groves, I think this would probably be easier and cheaper than chemical stripping. Good luck.

(2006)

A. I'm am trying right now to rust my old Tom Watson sand wedge 55 degree. Sand the top layer of chrome off. Then let it sit in salt water. Then let it set out a day. It will rust over the nickel.

Garrett [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Peru, Indiana

(2007)

Q. How to rust a wedge? I tried to sit it in water over night and it worked a little bit but is there a different or quicker way?

Bobby Thomas
student - Tecumseh, Michigan, United States

(2007)

A. Had you chemically removed the chrome, or sandblasted the club first, Bobby? Chrome plated auto and truck bumpers last decades out in the weather; while the plating on golf clubs may not be as high quality, a good chrome finish certainly won't fail from a day in water --

A. I do plating removal on golf clubs. Some clubs have finishes other that chrome/nickel and require different methods of removal. I always advise caution in regards to sanding on the face of a club. Improper sanding could damage the flatness of the face or the grooves creating unwanted angles on the club and resulting in unreliable direction of the shots. I can strip the heads without removing the shafts, but it is easier and cheaper to do when the shaft is removed. I usually re-groove the clubs after they have been stripped. I hope this helps.

Dave Gradl
plating & polishing - Sarasota, Florida, USA

November 22, 2013 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Hello, What are the charges for removing the finish to the raw metal on forged golf irons. The shafts will be removed. What method do you use?

Don

Don Mitchell
Golf Instructor - Troy, Texas