-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Epns cleaning

I would like to know the best way to clean epns silverware as mine is black and most silver cleaners tend to make it worse. Any suggestions?

Mavis Northmore
- UK

You can buy (I forget the name) a silver cleaning kit consisting of a piece of aluminum with 'instructions'.

You could get some flat pieces of aluminum (I'm pretty sure it is aluminum), put them in a bowl with the metal epns (knifes & forks, perchance?) touching them. Then get some hot water and add some dollops of sodium bicarbonate (i.e., good old baking soda [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] ). Leave to 'stew' for a day or so. An electroylic action will occur and the black, or some of it, will/should disappear.

It does work ... for fine tuning you might have to use some silver polish. Works on pure silver, too!

(It is our sad duty to advise that Freeman passed away April 21, 2012. R.I.P. old friend).

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search